Sunday, January 5, 2014

Time and Patience


Yep, that's hockey tape holding the pads of the Kid's hockey helmet together. One more talking point for when I accept my Hockey Mom of the Year Award. The Kid's grandmother sent him money for Christmas and he was going to use it to buy a much-needed new helmet. He sat at the breakfast table researching helmet and visor options that would fit his budget. He wrote down his choices on a piece of paper and we headed to Total Hockey.

It's rare that I write posts about particular companies or products, but Total Hockey really impressed me with its excellent customer service. The place was crazy-busy, so we'd been waiting a while. Right as I was about to lose my patience, "Justin" arrived to help us out.

"The Kid's done some research and would like to check out helmets," I said, turning things over to the Kid. The Kid showed his piece of paper to Justin and explained what he was looking for.

"Thanks Buddy," Justin said. "This is really helpful." He got the product the Kid was interested in and the fitting began.

Aaaaah...if only it had been easy. Instead, we found that the Kid is very hard to fit for a helmet. We tried different sizes and different brands. We loosened screws, turned mini-wheels. Justin consulted his manager for additional help. Through it all he not only worked closely with me to address issues of proper fit and budget, but he interacted beautifully with the Kid. He listened thoughtfully when the Kid would describe points of discomfort, he explained clearly how the helmet should feel. Squirt hockey player and equipment guy finding solutions.

It took a very long time, but Justin stuck with us, patiently helping us find a properly-fitting helmet and cage and keeping us pretty close to our budget. I made sure to tell the manager about our experience and as we were leaving, the manager was passing along my positive assessment to Justin.

Nicely done!




6 comments:

  1. yea, yea, yea...but have you been skating? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got back on the ice this week! Wobbly after a two-week break. Lots to work on!

      Delete
  2. Always a pleasure when one actually gets good "customer service".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Seems increasingly rare these days.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you replaced that messed-up helmet so his head could be properly protected. Us figure skaters could really use helmets too--- I know too many skaters who have gotten injuries like concussions or a broken cheekbone. I at least use a Force Field soccer headband-- I figure it would be better than nothing if I hit my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing more and more people wearing Ice Halos. Probably a good development. I've only heard of one really bad figure skating head injury around here. That doesn't mean there haven't been more, it just means I haven't heard about them. That's definitely the scariest part of ice sports.

      Delete